Thursday, December 29, 2005

In a Slump

Maybe it's the holidays...maybe it's health related. I don't know why, but I seem to be in a knitting slump right now. I finished my son's Christmas sweater the last week of classes, only to find out on Christmas morning that he had grown since I started it. I may have to add more to the length and sleeves and do some redesign on the collar 'cause I just don't like how it turned out. I had started some toe-up socks last week, and ripped them out about as quick as I cast them on. They were too wide. I cast them on again last night, but just can't get motivated.

Maybe it's because my mother-in-law is in town. I think she believes that I spend much too much time knitting...time I should be using to clean my house. I'm sorry, if Steve married me for my housekeeping skills he was seriously mistaken, and he'd have to be really SLOW because we've been married 16+ years and if he hasn't figured it out by now...Well, whose fault is that?

Seriously, I'm taking a little break. I stayed home from work yesterday fighting a cold - much better today. I only seem to get sick when I allow myself time to let down a little. Why is that? I tried researching it, but everything I found said that stress contributes to lowering immunity, not relaxation. I seem to thrive on stress; I get sick when I slow down. Maybe by slowing down the cold catches me (Why would anyone want to catch a cold?) When I'm moving full pace it can't catch up.

I'm planning a major sewing project for the weekend. I don't, as a rule, consider myself a seamstress. I've made skirts, and doll clothes as a child, and once made a dress, just to see if I could. (I wore it for a couple of years before it started falling apart. I'd call that a qualified success.) I made cushions for the window seat in the house. From knitting, I know the basics of clothing construction, and I can read a pattern. This is a major project more in terms of its importance to me. I'm making myself a clerical robe to wear for some upcoming preaching engagements! I'm planning to use good fabric in a natural color and take my time. If it works well, I may make more in other colors like black or navy. I'll post pictures if it's worth looking at. Stay tuned!

Back to work...lots of reading to be done for my January class. Happy New Year!

Kim

8 comments:

revhipchick said...

happy new year kim!

i know what you mean about slowing down and gettting sick. i got really sick the week before christmas--finally most of the craziness had died down. perhaps it's not that we weren't well, but once you stop moving you can't help but pay attention to your body in pain. weird no matter what!

good luck on your robe--how very exciting! where did you get the pattern?

Kim in KCK said...

Actually, it is a Simplicity pattern for a Princess Leia (sp?) / Queen Amidala (sp?) halloween costume that I got for $2 at a JoAnn's that was going out of business up north. It looks like an alb (I think that is the term). I finished it yesterday, and it turned out great! I took it yesterday and showed it to a certain preaching and worship instructor for whom I work, and she thought it was wonderful! Of course, I think she would say that even if it wasn't, but I think she was sincere, and I'm pleased with it. I will blog it as soon as I get Steve to take a picture. Maybe tonight.

revhipchick said...

hooray!

what a cool idea to transform princess leia/queen amidala into preacher's garb! i can't wait to check it out!

you so totally rock!

revhipchick said...

ok kim...we're waiting for pictures! i can't wait to see you next week! i've been thinking of your offer (from last year) to teach me how to knit...embroidery is too detail oriented to do during class~!

Kim in KCK said...

Patience, my dear, patience. I have to catch my husband home at the same time as me to get that picture. I also bought a real robe yesterday. Maureen made me a deal on one at the bookstore. I'm so excited! I'm preaching the next two Sundays at the churches where I hope to get appointed this summer.

Did I offer to teach you to knit? Cool! I may actually have to start a class at the sem. hmmmm....

revhipchick said...

i am such a brat, demanding pictures from you when i don't have them either and i was asking for patience! sorry!

cool! where are you preaching? i'd love to hear you! i got to preach two weeks ago and it was great (for me anyway--everyone is always so nice whenever i do, but sometimes i wonder!)

revhipchick said...

good luck! although i'm positive you don't need it!

will you possibly post the sermon or do you even write it out?

Kim in KCK said...

I had to write it out because I'm using the two sermons I wrote for my preaching class the last two weeks, and we had to turn them in.