Friday, August 31, 2007

Friday Five: Seasons Change...

It's Labor Day weekend here in the United States, also known as Summer's Last Hurrah. So let's say goodbye to summer and hello to the autumn. (People in other climes, feel free to adapt as needed.)

1. Share a highlight from this summer.

I had a really great summer!

I had a class with Revhipchick and got to know her a lot better.

I had time to read some things that weren't required.

I helped my professor move her office.

I lived vicariously through my daughter who spent three weeks in Costa Rica.

But probably best of all, I had a great time spending a lot more time with my kids than I have in past years. My son went to a camp in mid-Missouri, so we had some good car time together, and my daughter took driver's ed, so we've also had quite a bit of good car time. It's kind of cool that my kids actually enjoy hanging out with me. The week before school started, the kids and I went to Omaha (3 hours away) to go to the zoo there. We had heard it was a good zoo and we weren't disappointed. It was in the high 90's in KC that week, and Omaha was in the low 80's so our timing was perfect. And daughter dear drove the whole trip!


2. Are you glad to see this summer end? Why or why not?

Yes and no. I'm glad to be getting back to school where all my friends hang out, but I'm also a little nervous about having more work to do than I have in the past even though I'm carrying less hours. Weird...I'm not sure where that is coming from. I also realize that it is the beginning of the end of my seminary education. I'll be graduating in May. Then comes the big transition of letting go once and for all of the engineering job that has supported our family for so long and relying on God through the auspices of my denomination. God help us all! Maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself. Live in the moment, Kim.


3. Name one or two things you're looking forward to this fall.

1. A road trip with three of my best buds
to Tulsa for the Stacey Preachers' Workshop featuring BBT and Fred Craddock in mid September.

2. Officiating at my niece's wedding in mid October and then going to my best friend from grade school's annual bonfire and hayride later that evening.


4. Do you have any special preparations or activities to mark the transition from one season to another? (Cleaning of house, putting away summer clothes, one last trip to the beach)

I'm cleaning house today, but that is mostly because my MIL is coming in tonight to spend the weekend with us. We are also planning to paint the barn Saturday and Monday, and to attend Irish Fest after church on Sunday. Our biggest end of summer ritual is our daughter's birthday which falls on August 29. Other than that, going back to school for all of us is the main thing.

It's funny, the first year I was out of college, August/September hit, and I felt this strange need to go spend exorbitant amounts of money on books and office/school supplies. Maybe that is the real end-of-summer ritual for me!

5. I'll know that fall is really here when __________________________________.

The trees begin to catch fire with all the colors of the rainbow and I can smell that indescribable spicy aroma that I assume is decomposing leaves but has always just meant autumn to me. And I can start comfortable wearing knitted sweaters again.

Kim

7 comments:

Sally said...

wow you have so much to look forward to- prayers as you let go of the engineering job....

as for the smells and sights of autumn I love them!

earthchick said...

mmm, yes I love the autumn trees too (not to mention wearing knitted sweaters!)

So sorry to read about the loss of you lab further down. :( Hugs to you and your family.

And thanks for your nice comments on my blog!

Unknown said...

So good to spend time with the kids as they get older, isn't it?

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

tell more about 'Irish Fest'... did I read that right?

and the zoo... Omaha has a great place there... the kingdom of the night...ooohhh all those bats!!

Unknown said...

Good play.

You got to know Revhipchick better. Wow that is awesome. Wish I could have been there.

Happy birthday to your daughter. You really had a great summer. Hope this year of Seminary goes well for you.

Kim in KCK said...

hot cup lutheran, Irish fest is the Kansas City Irish Fest held every year on Labor Day weekend (Fri-Sun) at Crown Center. Three stages with bands, food, heritage stuff, vendors, great fun! I'm helping judge the knitting competition, so I got two free tix! We were planning to go anyway. Seemed like a good way to get in cheap!

revabi, I've known revhipchick for some time. We're classmates at seminary, but I had never sat with her in class before. I tend to be a front row sitter, and she is usually further back. Our class this summer just had one ring around the outside of the room, so it worked for both of us.

revhipchick said...

kim--your description of the fall leaves is perfectly poetic. i feel the same way about them. fall is my favorite season of all.

i'm just bummed that we won't have any more classes together this year--it's a definate first!