Thursday, August 23, 2007

In Memoriam

Our beautiful, 13-1/2 year old black lab died today. I worked at church this morning and had some errands to run, and while I was on the highway en route to one of those errands, my cell phone rang.

It was my daughter. The kids were home from school today for a advocacy meetings, and I could tell right off that something wasn't quite right. Eileen was crying and I had a very hard time understanding her. The only word I could understand was "Star." I suspected what proved to be true.

Star's health has been failing for some time now. when she was 8 we had a large mass removed that the vet told us was a very severe cancer. Since then there have been other lumps that we haven't bothered having biopsied. We knew what they were.

When Star was ten, we could see her beginning to fail. Her arthritis was getting worse, but she still seemed to enjoy life. We knew she might not be around much longer so we got another dog to prefill the anticipated loss. We were also hopeful that she might help in the training of the youngster, which she did. Funny thing was, this new puppy took about three years off of Star's age, and she found a new lease on life and what appeared to be new joy.

Over the last few months, we have come out to the back porch in the morning to find "accidents." I had begun to suspect the end was coming.

This morning, it was much worse. I think I knew then that it wouldn't be long. When I told my husband what had happened , he said it really didn't surprise him after this morning.

I have been thinking for some time that we might soon have to make a decision. But Star was still happy. She still ate well, and just yesterday, as we took the three-year-old through his routine of tricks, Star had to show our son that she still had a few tricks left, too. She rolled over several times for him, just to show off.

Star has been my daughter's dog since she was two and a half. We never worried when Eileen would climb trees because Star mothered her so well that if Eileen would have fallen, she would have landed on her whimpering, worried dog. As she got older, many times we observed Star removing burrs from my or my daughters sweatpant legs with her teeth - grooming us as we often did her. Eileen will be sixteen next week, and it's so sad for her to have lost such a good friend, especially so close to her birthday.

Our former neighbor died two weeks ago. He and his wife always spoiled Star rotten while we were at work. I like to think that Guy will take care of our Star puppy now that she is in heaven.

I finally was able to cry a little this evening when the children weren't looking. They had enough grief of their own without seeing mine.

We took her body to the vet to have her cremated. We should get the ashes back in a couple of weeks, and then we will have a memorial service. It was a good thing that the kids and I were home today. It was a very hot day, and the required tasks could have been much more unpleasant than they already were if she had laid there in the yard all day.

The younger dog still hasn't seemed to figure it out. It will sink in soon.

Please pray for my family as we grieve and heal from our loss.

Kim

5 comments:

revhipchick said...

i'm so sorry. you all will be in my prayers. you gave a lovely vision of your wonderful dog, Star. much love to you and yours.

Bertie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know JUST how you feel. I lost my dear lab of 14 years about 10 years ago.

I still hear her footsteps on the hardwood floor every once in a while or feel her breath on my leg as I'm on the computer. T

hanks for sharing your wonderful dog with us. I will pray for you and your family. I'll bet Star is swimming in the Heavely Pond with Tasha right now!

Bertie
Aunt May's Cottage

revkjarla said...

Love, comfort, and blessing to you as you grieve Star. She sounds like she was wondrous...our 13 year lab died the end of June, and it still is fresh sometimes. I think she comes to visit...
prayers for you and your daughter and family.

Tiria the Shadow Princess said...

:(

Even for a dog... sorry for your loss!

Tiria
The Shadow Princess

Unknown said...

Oh no, I am so sad for you all. So sad Star went through so much. Prayers for you, your daughter and family.